Anytime I can eat a cream or cocoa puff from Komoda Bakery in Makawao is a happy day.
Well, that’s not what happened with me yesterday. But I did have lofty ideas of all the things I could accomplish in 24 hours — not really factoring in drive times and, well, napping.
Turns out, I didn’t get around to hiking Waihee Valley or finding out how that bartender makes his muddled blueberry mojito. But I did do — and eat — some pretty cool stuff.
Here’s what my second day on Maui looked like:
Maui Arts & Culture Center
Last summer I went to Maui with my mom for an eating frenzy that I swore I’d never repeat.
Then I booked a trip to the Valley Isle — only to return to the same places I had been to the year earlier.
Now, here I am, sitting in a recliner on the lanai of my room at the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, barely able to breathe after a decadent meal at Ferraro’s downstairs and regretting eating three meals in six hours.
I obviously didn’t learn my lesson.
While I plan to visit some familiar haunts — namely Komoda Bakery and Star Noodle — I have a few new adventures on the list, namely a walking tour of Lahaina, a night at the Kapalua Wine & Food Festival, and a lesson from a bartender at the resort on how he makes his popular blueberry mojito.
Here’s what my first day on Maui looked like:
Heading to Maui
Check out my visit to Sam Sato to eat dry noodles
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- #CatTravels: My take on London’s tourist spots September 15, 2014
- #CatTravels: A visit to Borough Market September 13, 2014
- #CatTravels: Arriving in London September 12, 2014
- #CatTravels: Heading to the U.K. September 11, 2014
- #FieldTrip: A walk on the west side September 8, 2014
- #CatTravels: Makalawena not a secret anymore September 2, 2014
- #DoThis: Okinawan Festival this weekend August 29, 2014
- A peek inside ‘Dumplings All Day Wong’ August 28, 2014
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- Dennis: Great market filled with everything you need on a ...
- expat jen: What a great time in London you two are having. L...
- M: Hello Cat! Interesting market....
- WildeOscar: I know that you mentioned London not being cheap i...
- Kehau: Didn't you order a macaron (and not a macaroon)? ...
- expat jen: Pimms for the win! :) Love this market - defin...
- Annoddah Dave: CAT: Ok, but where is the pix of the bathroom?...
- Dennis: Fish and chips! I love it! My next retirement tr...