You know what I love? Donettes!
I was eating Portuguese bean soup with my family and watching “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,” debating if I should open a bottle of pinot noir or stick with Diet Coke.
If the world ended at that moment, I would have been pretty satisfied.
But alas, the anticipated rapture — as predicted by Harold Camping, a, 89-year-old retired civil engineer who built a multimillion-dollar Christian media empire around these apocalyptic predictions — never happened. And thousands of believers were left wondering, well, what now and, maybe more importantly, what should we do next time.
Honestly, I had forgotten about the May 21 rapture. Otherwise, I would’ve surfed a little longer, ate a little worse and shortened that midday nap.
It’s interesting what people did on Saturday (or days in advance), thinking the world was going to end. Folks drained their savings or gave away their worldly possessions. Others took trips or visited loved one.
Honestly, I don’t know what I would do if I knew the world was going to end, say, on Thursday. I certainly wouldn’t be counting calories.
What would you do?
And more important, what would your playlist be? I say this because CNN cleverly put together a doomsday playlist. And here are the songs:
- “Eve of Destruction” by Barry McGuire
- “It’s the End of the World” by REM
- “Until the End of Time” by 2Pac
- “The End” by The Doors
- “Until the End of the World” by U2
- “Waiting for the End of the World” by Elvis Costello
- “Doomsday Clock” by Smashing Pumpkins
- “Apocalypse Please” by Muse
- “The End of the World” by Skeeter Davis
- “The Man Comes Around” by Johnny Cash
Got any to add?
Gas prices in Hawaii are dropping, according to the AAA Hawaii Weekend Gas Watch, with the statewide average for regular unleaded at $4.34 a gallon.
But we found cheaper!
According to friends — and Hawaii Gas Prices online — the cheapest gas today was at the Union 76 at 98-1277 Kaahumanu St. in Waimalu at $3.89 a gallon.
I spotted $3.97 this morning at Aloha Gas on the corner of Kapahulu and Kaimuki avenues. That price dropped from $4.06 a gallon — in one day!
This is cheaper than Costco, which was selling regular at $4.09 a gallon yesterday.
Where I live, the Union 76 is still $4.28 a gallon. Looks like I may have to drive to Waikiki to fill my tank!
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- Cancer, you haven’t met the Toths March 7, 2014
- Good service goes a long way March 4, 2014
- 10 reasons why I don’t mind moving February 28, 2014
- #CatTravels: Planting koa trees in Honokaa February 26, 2014
- #CatTravels: A weekend in Volcano February 25, 2014
- #CatTravels: Big Island bound February 21, 2014
- #GreatDebate: Costco vs. Sam’s Club February 19, 2014
- Today’s Happy Shot February 14, 2014
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- Kehau: With aloha to your sister and your 'ohana! Please...
- 808pooh: Cat- wow 2013 just wasn't a great year at all....
- rayboyjr: Hey Cat: ... add some positive vibes from me too!...
- Kim: Sounds like your sis has a great support system! W...
- Gloria Abaya: Hey! Cat, Sending positive vibes your way and your...
- Annoddah Dave: CAT: Besides being old, fat, and poor, I have bee...
- Himanee: First off, good thoughts for your sister. You're ...
- Dennis: Hi Cat! My prayers to you and your sister! 93% a...