Fried risotto? Yes! From SALT Kitchen & Tasting Bar.
At least in terms of television.
Called “The ’90s Are All That,” this late-night time block will feature runs of shows like “All That” (shown), “Clarissa Explains It All” and ““Kenan & Kel.”
It’s like “Nick At Nite” but for the 18- to 34-year-old sect.
It’s obvious I missed the age cut. Because I don’t remember watching these shows. They don’t even sound vaguely familiar.
The channel got its initial list of shows from Facebook feedback — smart — and will continue to let the social media site influence what other shows rotate into the block. (Read more in this New York Times story.)
Too bad the age demo didn’t skew just a little bit older. Because I have my list of my favorite TV shows — not cartoons; that’s another blog — ready:
• “Family Ties”
• “The Greatest American Hero”
• “My So-Called Life”
• “Happy Days”
• “The Jeffersons”
• “Magnun PI”
Got any to add?
And there isn’t a time when we haven’t seen abandoned dog poop along the road or the trail.
Yes, every time.
I don’t understand how people can just leave their dog poop. It’s not like they didn’t notice it. So why leave it there? Honestly, what’s so hard about picking it up and throwing it away?
This isn’t a problem specific to Honolulu. Cities around the world are dealing with irresponsible pet owners. They’re passing laws, issuing fines and posting signs.
In Hawaii, it’s against the law to ditch your dog poop. According to the Hawaiian Humane Society, the city ordinance against littering includes a provision that applies to animals. It states that if a pet deposits feces on private or public property, owners are required to clean it up. You can call the Honolulu Police Department and report it.
Aside from the law, there’s a health reason to pick up your dog poop. It has been estimated that a single gram of dog feces can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhea, intestinal illness and serious kidney disorders in humans. Two or three days worth of poop from a population of about 100 dogs would contribute enough bacteria to temporary close a bay to swimming, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
Meaning, it’s not fertilizer.
I get it. I pick up my dog’s poop. I obey the law.
But how do we convince other pet owners to do the same? Unless you catch them in the act of ditching the poop, there’s not much we can do. And that’s the frustrating part.
So we’ll continue to pick up ours and stray poop we see on our daily walks and weekly hikes. But irresponsible dog owners, you’ve been warned. If we catch you, you’ll be up poop creek.
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- Today’s Happy Shot — and why I love my vet October 23, 2014
- Ode to ‘Elua October 21, 2014
- #FUUD: Salted Lemon in Liliha October 17, 2014
- #CatChat: Visiting the new Choco le‘a Boutique October 15, 2014
- What makes the best fries October 13, 2014
- #CatTravels: 48 Hours in Ireland October 6, 2014
- #CatTravels: The Highlands, Day 2 October 2, 2014
- #CatTravels: The Highlands by tour bus, Day 1 October 1, 2014
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- Dennis: Yes, Vet's are the most important person to know ...
- expat jen: I have tears. What a wonderful pair of vets your ...
- M: Hello Cat, Sorry for your loss again. Dr. Kohii s...
- Vickie: Cat, there a blogger on another web who raise duck...
- Bernie: Very sorry for your loss. You not only provided a...
- Snoskred: It is super hard to find a good chicken vet. Here ...
- Kim: Lovely tribute. To Elua and your husband....
- Rick Nakama: So sorry for your loss. This is the type of situat...