It’s Valentine’s Day! Do — and eat — what you love!
What is it about baked macaroni and cheese that makes it so irresistibly good? That’s particularly true for the version served at 12th Avenue Grill in Kaimuki (above). This dish came with Hamakua mushrooms, too. A must!
I sat in the rain in Nuuanu at the graves of my grandparents and wondered what life would be like if they were still here.
It’s probably something a lot of think about on Memorial Day, but this one been particularly hard.
I don’t have any more grandparents alive and I see people around me — my parents, the Old Guys — getting older and older. I wish I talked to my grandparents more, wrote down their stories, learned their recipes. Time is so fleeting like that.
So on this Memorial Day, after you visit those who have passed, spend time with those still around. Listen to their stories, learn to make their nishime, and most importantly, hug them and tell them you love them. That’s what Memorial Day should be all about.
More than 200 box jellyfish were found in Waikiki this morning. The influx should last all weekend. Stay out of the water!
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- #LovingNow: Nene Goose Bakery in Kailua July 21, 2014
- A ‘Top Chef’ and a top chef cook tonight July 17, 2014
- #Done: Pop-up brunch with Anthony Yang July 15, 2014
- 5Qs with SF’s Anthony Yang July 9, 2014
- I do everything #LikeAGirl July 7, 2014
- Your favorite happy hours on O‘ahu July 3, 2014
- 5 Qs with ‘Iron Chef’ Cat Cora June 30, 2014
- Why I don’t hike as much anymore June 26, 2014
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- M: Hello Cat! Looks yummy!...
- WildeOscar: Those baked goods look GUUD. Your blog is usually...
- Dennis: YES! Another found bakery I must visit! I'm gain...
- zzzzzz: Please don't tell me you googled bakeries while y...
- Dennis: Great blog on two great chefs. Thanks Cat!...
- Dennis: I love waffles!!!! Thanks!...
- WildeOscar: I could look at waffle pictures all day, with occa...
- Chuggy Bear: Those waffles! Droooool...