It’s Valentine’s Day! Do — and eat — what you love!
What is it about baked macaroni and cheese that makes it so irresistibly good? That’s particularly true for the version served at 12th Avenue Grill in Kaimuki (above). This dish came with Hamakua mushrooms, too. A must!
I sat in the rain in Nuuanu at the graves of my grandparents and wondered what life would be like if they were still here.
It’s probably something a lot of think about on Memorial Day, but this one been particularly hard.
I don’t have any more grandparents alive and I see people around me — my parents, the Old Guys — getting older and older. I wish I talked to my grandparents more, wrote down their stories, learned their recipes. Time is so fleeting like that.
So on this Memorial Day, after you visit those who have passed, spend time with those still around. Listen to their stories, learn to make their nishime, and most importantly, hug them and tell them you love them. That’s what Memorial Day should be all about.
More than 200 box jellyfish were found in Waikiki this morning. The influx should last all weekend. Stay out of the water!
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- Ode to ‘Elua October 21, 2014
- #FUUD: Salted Lemon in Liliha October 17, 2014
- #CatChat: Visiting the new Choco le‘a Boutique October 15, 2014
- What makes the best fries October 13, 2014
- #CatTravels: 48 Hours in Ireland October 6, 2014
- #CatTravels: The Highlands, Day 2 October 2, 2014
- #CatTravels: The Highlands by tour bus, Day 1 October 1, 2014
- #CatTravels: A lesson in Scotch whisky September 29, 2014
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- Kim: Lovely tribute. To Elua and your husband....
- Rick Nakama: So sorry for your loss. This is the type of situat...
- M: Hello Cat, Sorry for your loss. Pets are part of ...
- Hank: I held my cat once for euthanasia and there was no...
- Kanakalino: I wish that people could make the choice for eutha...
- Kim: My heart aches for you. That has got to be one of...
- jaydee: We lost our pet cat, Dharma a couple of months ago...
- willie boy: wow so sad. sorry for your loss....