It’s Valentine’s Day! Do — and eat — what you love!
What is it about baked macaroni and cheese that makes it so irresistibly good? That’s particularly true for the version served at 12th Avenue Grill in Kaimuki (above). This dish came with Hamakua mushrooms, too. A must!
I sat in the rain in Nuuanu at the graves of my grandparents and wondered what life would be like if they were still here.
It’s probably something a lot of think about on Memorial Day, but this one been particularly hard.
I don’t have any more grandparents alive and I see people around me — my parents, the Old Guys — getting older and older. I wish I talked to my grandparents more, wrote down their stories, learned their recipes. Time is so fleeting like that.
So on this Memorial Day, after you visit those who have passed, spend time with those still around. Listen to their stories, learn to make their nishime, and most importantly, hug them and tell them you love them. That’s what Memorial Day should be all about.
More than 200 box jellyfish were found in Waikiki this morning. The influx should last all weekend. Stay out of the water!
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- #CatTravels: Visiting nēnē in England September 23, 2014
- #CatTravels: Visiting Harry Potter’s world September 22, 2014
- #CatTravels: Today’s Happy Shot September 21, 2014
- #CatTravels: Inside the Scottish referendum September 17, 2014
- #CatTravels: My take on London’s tourist spots September 15, 2014
- #CatTravels: A visit to Borough Market September 13, 2014
- #CatTravels: Arriving in London September 12, 2014
- #CatTravels: Heading to the U.K. September 11, 2014
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- Catherine Toth: We found it that way, too! How coincidental!...
- Catherine Toth: Glad to hear it! The food really isnʻt as bad as ...
- Catherine Toth: Right? Itʻs the best! :)...
- Catherine Toth: Too bad weʻre driving around so much! We need to ...
- Catherine Toth: What a great trip for him and his daughter! Yes, E...
- Catherine Toth: You know, I never made it to Florida yet. Been wan...
- Catherine Toth: I know! I thought the same thing! It would have be...
- Vickie: Too bad stores did not open or are they real store...