It’s Valentine’s Day! Do — and eat — what you love!
What is it about baked macaroni and cheese that makes it so irresistibly good? That’s particularly true for the version served at 12th Avenue Grill in Kaimuki (above). This dish came with Hamakua mushrooms, too. A must!
I sat in the rain in Nuuanu at the graves of my grandparents and wondered what life would be like if they were still here.
It’s probably something a lot of think about on Memorial Day, but this one been particularly hard.
I don’t have any more grandparents alive and I see people around me — my parents, the Old Guys — getting older and older. I wish I talked to my grandparents more, wrote down their stories, learned their recipes. Time is so fleeting like that.
So on this Memorial Day, after you visit those who have passed, spend time with those still around. Listen to their stories, learn to make their nishime, and most importantly, hug them and tell them you love them. That’s what Memorial Day should be all about.
More than 200 box jellyfish were found in Waikiki this morning. The influx should last all weekend. Stay out of the water!
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- Cancer, you haven’t met the Toths March 7, 2014
- Good service goes a long way March 4, 2014
- 10 reasons why I don’t mind moving February 28, 2014
- #CatTravels: Planting koa trees in Honokaa February 26, 2014
- #CatTravels: A weekend in Volcano February 25, 2014
- #CatTravels: Big Island bound February 21, 2014
- #GreatDebate: Costco vs. Sam’s Club February 19, 2014
- Today’s Happy Shot February 14, 2014
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- Shari: Sending positive vibes!! My dad beat cancer in 200...
- Pam: Positive thoughts & energy to you & your f...
- Roxie Perreira: Chris, My prayers are with you, the women in our...
- Charlie Akana: Hi Cat... Hope all goes well.... 93% is great odds...
- Paul Louie: C, My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, stage...
- Masako: Hi Cat, I went to high school with your sister. ...
- Annie: I don't remember if I ever met your sister, but y...
- Surfing at Sixty: Cat, My best to your sister and your family. What...