It’s Valentine’s Day! Do — and eat — what you love!
What is it about baked macaroni and cheese that makes it so irresistibly good? That’s particularly true for the version served at 12th Avenue Grill in Kaimuki (above). This dish came with Hamakua mushrooms, too. A must!
I sat in the rain in Nuuanu at the graves of my grandparents and wondered what life would be like if they were still here.
It’s probably something a lot of think about on Memorial Day, but this one been particularly hard.
I don’t have any more grandparents alive and I see people around me — my parents, the Old Guys — getting older and older. I wish I talked to my grandparents more, wrote down their stories, learned their recipes. Time is so fleeting like that.
So on this Memorial Day, after you visit those who have passed, spend time with those still around. Listen to their stories, learn to make their nishime, and most importantly, hug them and tell them you love them. That’s what Memorial Day should be all about.
More than 200 box jellyfish were found in Waikiki this morning. The influx should last all weekend. Stay out of the water!
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- In #AlohaBeijing, ‘Aloha’ can mean goodbye April 16, 2014
- #CatTravels: 67 hours in Beijing April 15, 2014
- Opening tonight: Honolulu’s newest brewpub April 11, 2014
- What? Archie is dead? April 9, 2014
- Oh, age is more than just a number! April 7, 2014
- Thanks, folks, for not being there April 3, 2014
- What I learned turning 39 March 28, 2014
- The country you’re most fascinated with March 25, 2014
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- Betty: The Visa is allowed for 3 months. I planed to sta...
- Bumper: That's a bummer. I'm extremely cautious when tra...
- Melissa: I'm here and I wish you were, too! Some of us tal...
- Ty: Not stupid, just perhaps needed a little more due ...
- Misty: It's okay Cat, you'll get another chance to tear...
- M: Sorry but the ones who gave you flack on line I do...
- turkfontaine: "stupid, stupid China." - Stephanie Van der Kell...
- M: It wasn't your fault at all. I love that picture,...