There’s nothing like celebrating a holiday with donuts! Happy Fourth, everyone!
What is it about baked macaroni and cheese that makes it so irresistibly good? That’s particularly true for the version served at 12th Avenue Grill in Kaimuki (above). This dish came with Hamakua mushrooms, too. A must!
I sat in the rain in Nuuanu at the graves of my grandparents and wondered what life would be like if they were still here.
It’s probably something a lot of think about on Memorial Day, but this one been particularly hard.
I don’t have any more grandparents alive and I see people around me — my parents, the Old Guys — getting older and older. I wish I talked to my grandparents more, wrote down their stories, learned their recipes. Time is so fleeting like that.
So on this Memorial Day, after you visit those who have passed, spend time with those still around. Listen to their stories, learn to make their nishime, and most importantly, hug them and tell them you love them. That’s what Memorial Day should be all about.
More than 200 box jellyfish were found in Waikiki this morning. The influx should last all weekend. Stay out of the water!
These little bites from Eggs ‘N Things was my favorite dish served tonight at the 11th annual Waikiki Spam Jam.
And it was simple enough, too.
The pieces of Spam were dipped in pancake batter and deep-fried. Serve with maple syrup and I’m done.
Good job, Eggs!
About Catherine Toth
Born and raised on Oahu, Catherine E. Toth has worked as a newspaper reporter in Hawaii for 10 years and continues to freelance — in between teaching journalism, hitting the surf, hiking with her two dogs and eating everything in sight — for national and local print and online publications.
Follow @thedailydish on Twitter
- Got leftover pumpkin? Make cupcakes! December 4, 2013
- #TheGreatDebate: Is Cookie Butter really that great? December 3, 2013
- What movies would make your all-time list? December 2, 2013
- Make it Thanksgiving every day November 28, 2013
- #TasteTest: Maffles November 27, 2013
- #CatChat: Black Friday at Eden In Love November 26, 2013
- It’s officially time to freak out November 25, 2013
- FUUD: Breakfast at Nico’s Pier 38 November 22, 2013
- Castle Park and other things I miss April 11, 2011
- 'Hawaii Five-O' better than expected September 20, 2010
- Vegas, here we come! September 15, 2011
- Advice for surviving a long-distance relationship August 23, 2011
- Ho, brah, I stay local now October 25, 2010
- Would you pay for news online? July 25, 2011
- Call me, but don't leave a message September 22, 2010
- Iconic Hawaii eateries April 13, 2011
- Miss Em: This time of year, I love making and eating pumpki...
- Ken: 1. Saving Private Ryan. 2. Brave Heart 3. It's...
- Dakine: I agree with above posts. Like it, but don't lov...
- Tom: Competence matters. Maintaining a therapeutic fram...
- Tom: Competence matters. Maintaining a therapeutic fra...
- Bumper: Overrated. Agree with the posts above -- Biscoff w...
- Old Man: Yeah, I'm one of those that's tried the Cookie B...
- Pomai: You can get the ORIGINAL "Cookie Butter" right h...